SWOT Analysis Redo
OLD - SWOT Analysis:
Strengths:
I am passionate about learning more when it comes to games design and I’m creative when thinking of different ideas.
I have a good understanding of how to create environments and import assets when it comes to Unreal 4/5.
I am currently using my own time to look into different parts of games development to try and increase my knowledge.
Weaknesses:
Throughout college I’ve tended to leave things till last minute to get them done, or I only complete them when I want to.
I don’t have great knowledge of game engines outside of Unreal, so learning ones like C# could benefit me.
Lacking in experience outside of college when it comes to the game industry, which many are looking for at the moment.
Opportunities:
Hopefully going to university will help develop my skills in order for me to get a better job in the future.
Things like AI will help develop the games industry in a new way, so learning how to effectively use AI might prove useful in the future.
Games is growing and esports is becoming larger, means bigger market for game developers and for more games to come out.
Threats:
It’s a very competitive market, getting a job in games design will not be easy. There are not a lot of jobs going around for narrative design either.
A lot of the jobs I found were not in the UK, meaning I might have to move country if I find a really good one.
I need to make sure that I know what I’m going into. I don’t want to head into a job about game design and then wish I did narrative.
New SWOT analysis:
Strengths: I've come very far from before, i now know what i really hold my passion in, and i know exactly what area's i want to pursue as i keep going with games development.
I've gained a lot more skills in Unreal engine 5, and more knowledge about how design in it works, along with learning how to import and texture 3D models, and some basic coding.
I have learned to work as a team and lead, due to my role as producer for the game that me and my team are working on.
I've been working on my narrative skill at home, as I've spent time looking into different game narratives and i how i could make one myself, Along with looking at tips that they use whilst writing them.
Weaknesses: A lot of my weaknesses have stayed sort of the same, though i would say I've learned a lot more about the games development industry since last time i wrote about this.
Ever since i started working in a team, one of my core weaknesses is that i tend to stay in my lane, i know about other parts like modeling and coding, though i don't practice or look into them, even though it would benefit me and my team.
I still need to learn about other engines, although i may now know Unreal 5 pretty well, I'm still very unaware about how to use other engines in the same way.
Opportunities: I've got a lot of different opportunities coming up which are hopefully going to help further my knowledge, and help get our game out there.
We're going to be going to the Forum in Norwich, and showing off our game to crowds of people. This is going to not only boost my confidence, but be a good opportunity to see what I'm like in front of a crowd of people, and how I'll learn to market my game.
There are many game jam's going on in June and throughout the rest of the year, so i could participate in these and continue to learn more about games development, making picking up another area which I'm less knowledgeable about.
I could also keep looking into AI within the games industry, though I'm still very new to the concept and have been trying to do research on it where possible.
Threats: The job market in the UK for games designers is still not that high, however for environmental designers there are a good few in the UK that i could get. The big issue being the experience and things that are required, which someone of my level and knowledge would not have.
Although i know what area's of games development i want to do, if there is a listing for "Games Designer/3D Environmental artist" i need to make sure that they do not mean a 3D asset artist, or a job around those lines, as it'd be completely different to what I'm interested in.
I also need to learn to branch out, because if i stay to what i enjoy, and keep doing environments which aren't in high detail or of professional quality, i will struggle to find a job or get good work experience within the industry.
Comments
Post a Comment